How much does it cost to clean my gutters?
Gutters play a vital role in keeping your residence dry and free from water damage. A gutter system works as a way to collect rainwater, melting snow, and hail as they run off the roof. It diverts the water away from the home and into down-pipes which funnel the water away from the structure. Gutters typically run alongside a building’s eaves 1 and are attached to the fascia boards.
Gutters should be cleaned twice a year, in fall and spring, to remove all debris and keep the system functioning properly. Debris, such as fallen leaves and twigs, can quickly dam up a gutter system and cause it to malfunction.
For a single story 1,500 square foot home with 150 linear feet of gutters it will typically cost €150 to have the gutters professionally cleaned.
Problems caused by a blocked gutter
As the seasons change, leaves and other debris regularly build up in the trough-shaped gutter system. The buildup of debris can form a dam in the gutter so water cannot flow to the downspout and away from your house. The dam causes the water to back up and overflow the sides of the gutter, leading to the problems below:
Structural damage: a blocked gutter can cause water to overflow out of the gutter’s, and onto your roof’s edge. Water running across and down the sides of your house eventually damages the roof and the sides of the building.
Flooding: water overflowing out of your blocked gutter may pool on the ground beside your home’s foundation, where it can seep beneath the foundation into the basement or crawlspace. Flooding in your crawlspace or basement poses a significant risk of causing extensive structural damage.
Cracked foundation: water around a foundation could freeze during the winter months. Frozen water makes the soil expand and heave upwards which could crack the home’s foundation.
Surfaces: pooling water on walkways and driveways also poses a danger to passing pedestrians who can slip on the wet surfaces.
Regular Cleans the Benefits
twice a year gutter cleaning keeps the gutter system free from accumulated debris so the water continues to be diverted away from the structure. A buildup of debris in a gutter is heavy and can cause the gutter to bow, bend, break, or pull away from the side of the building. Regularly cleaning the gutter system prevents costly future gutter repairs; for example, damaged gutters may need to be repaired or replaced. If the gutter pulls away from the home’s fascia board they may suffer damage and also need to be replaced.
Cost/Price and other factors
- Height: professional gutter cleaning services for a two or three story home will typically cost €300-€450 because of the added safety risks and additional ladder length may be required. The added height means that the job must be done by two people for safety and will require a 40-foot ladder or longer to reach the gutters.
- Location: landscaping that is difficult to get around, such as large shrubs, flowerbeds, or trees, typically increases the cost of gutter cleaning because of the additional time that the worker must take in maneuvering.
- Gutter screens: gutter screens cover a gutter system to help prevent leaves from collecting in the gutter trough, however, debris can still infiltrate beneath the screens. Often there is an added charge to lift out the gutter screens and clean underneath.
- Gutter condition: gutters pulling away from the home’s fascia board may need to be reaffixed. If the gutters are rusted, warped, bent, or broken then sections might need to be completely replaced.
Gutters require twice a year inspections and cleanings in the spring and autumn. In some cases, a gutter professional will need to adjust the slope of the gutters to keep the water flowing smoothly towards the down-pipes. The down-pipes will also need to be inspected for possible obstructions and to make sure they are still adequately expelling water away from the structure. The inspector should also be looking for spots of rust and peeling or flaking paint. The down-pipes and gutter must be snugly affixed to the structure and the fascia board. An inspection of the fascia boards for rot or damage will also be carried out. If areas of rot or damage are noted then it is suggested that you have the lumber replaced or repaired by treating it with wood preservatives.
Enhancements and improvement costs
- Downspout cleaning: a blocked downspout can cost from €50-€100 to clean, depending on the severity of the clog.
- Tighten, reseal and outlets: professional gutter repair is normally charged by the hour. The cost averages €11 per hour and the time needed to do the repairs will depend on how many need to be tightened, how many require resealing, and how many outlets need repairs.
- Installing gutter guards: gutter guards keep leaves and debris from falling into the gutter trough. The cost of installing gutter guards averages €6-€7 per foot.
Additional considerations and costs
- Before hiring a gutter cleaning company you should consult with them to make sure that they include the price of removal of all debris in their price quote.
- Discuss with the gutter cleaners any possible price increases that may be involved due to large bushes or trees that may obstruct the gutters while cleaning the gutters.
- blocked down-pipes frequently add to the cost of basic gutter cleaning charges by €50-100.
- Cleaning the gutters on a three-story home typically costs more because of the added safety risk and the need for extension ladders. Having the gutters cleaned on a home three stories or higher can range from €300-450.
- If you live in an area with abundant rainfall then you might want to consider having your gutter system divert the water.
- Gutters that are located beneath trees often require more frequent cleaning, especially after a storm because of fallen leaves and debris from the tree accumulating in the gutters.
- Water pools up in the gutter system’s this can cause rusting or rot wood. This is especially true if the gutter is made out of sheet-metal.
- Any roof that is higher than a single story should have a gutter cleaning company clean the gutter system because of safety. Taller structures will require an extension specific equipment.
- Gutters typically need to be cleaned more often in regions that suffer from frequent storms because leaves and other debris build up in the gutters more quickly.
- Many gutter cleaning companies offer maintenance contracts that provide repeat customers with a discount.
- Always get at least three quotes for gutter cleaning from gutter cleaning companies before deciding on the best one.
- Gutter cleaning companies typically charge more to clean under gutter guards because of the extra labor involved.